Monday, May 30, 2011

"We are the Borg..."


I've been fascinated by the artistic potential of technology since the summer class I took on Computer Science way back in '85. Of course, I've been a sci-fi fan all my life, with Logan's Run, The Time Machine, Planet of the Apes and Star Trek laying the foundation.  Recently, I've been intrigued with the QR or Quick Response codes that seem to be cropping up with more frequency.  I recall seeing these first on the backs of Magic: the Gathering card packs and starter decks.  After some research I learned that there have been some artists that have incorporated QR codes both in there works. I decided to have a go at it.  My solution was to exploit the pattern and form to make a Borg cube where each of the sides read the iconic introduction:


"We are the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."

Since I don't own a smart phone or any periphery  that can interpret the code, I'm going on faith that the web site I used to create it , GOQR.ME has created a code that can be read.  Once I confirm the code, I'll start tweaking the design to look more Borg.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment